Tulsi Leaves: An annual delicate herb cultivated extensively in tropical climate of the country. It is also planted in kitchen garden and as an indoor plant since it is kept sacred in Hindu philosophy. Medicinally the leaves are used for various kind of classical and home made preparations.
Hindi Name: Tulsi
Sanskrit Name: Tulasi
English Name: Holy Basil
Latin Name: Ocimum sactum Linn Pennel
Tulsi or Holy basil is a widely known herb in the family Lamiaceae. It is native to India and vastly cultivated throughout Southeast Asia.
ALOE VERA – DO YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS ON SKIN?
10 Health benefits of Tulsi leaves
- Protection against infection and treating wounds: It can also act as a painkiller. Tulsi is long known to have anti-inflammatory properties and anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties.
- Relieves Headaches: Tulsi is a natural headache reliever which can also relieve migraine pain.
- Improves digestion system: Tulsi plant is known to enhance livers health which is why it aids in improving the digestion system.
- Reduces Fever (antipyretic) & Pain(analgesic): Eugenol, a terpene with pain-relieving properties found in Tulsi reduces aches in the body. Tulsi has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties which help to fight infections, thus reducing fever.\
- Reduces Stress & Blood Pressure: Tulsi contains compounds Ocimumosides A and B. These compounds reduce stress and balance the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine in the brain.
- Dissolving kidney stones: Tulsi is a great detox agent; therefore, it can help people who suffer from kidney stones. It helps to reduce uric acid levels in the body, which is a leading cause of kidney stones.
- Helps fight Diabetes: It’s one of the most preferred herbal teas for managing Diabetes. Tulsi tea can be effective in managing type 2 Diabetes.
- Eye Health: It also soothes eye inflammation and reduces stress. Tulsi’s anti-inflammatory properties help promote eye health by preventing viral, bacterial and fungal infections.
- Skin and hair benefits: Tulsi is packed with antioxidants coupled with minerals and vitamins, which can help fight the signs of ageing.
- Reduces Cold, Cough & Other Respiratory Disorders: Juice of Tulsi leaves mixed with honey and ginger is effective in bronchitis, asthma, influenza, cough and cold. Camphene, cineole and eugenol present in Tulsi help reduce cold and congestion in the chest.
How to consume Tulsi in a better way?
Consuming Tulsi leaves raw, sourced fresh from the plant, is the best way to take the benefits it offers. Tulsi leaves can be directly added to the tea and consumed regularly.
To Achieve your Fitness Goals here are some Fitness Blogs that you Must Follow
Most people grow tulsi at home but tulsi needs to be consumed the right way for the right effects. And chewing tulsi can make you miss out on those health benefits and can even lead to some side effects.
Tulsi leaves when consumed every day have various health benefits including boosting our immunity. But you should never chew on tulsi leaves.
When chewed, the mercury content in Tulsi gets released in your mouth, which can damage your teeth and cause discolouration. Also, tulsi leaves are acidic in nature and your mouth is alkaline, which can cause your teeth enamel to wear off sooner.
Tulsi leaves have mercury in them, which is not good for the enamel and thus one must not chew them.
SHILAJIT THE NATURAL TESTOSTERONE BOOSTER
4 Best way to Consume Tulsi
- Tulsi chai: One of the best and easiest ways to consume tulsi is by adding it to your tea. Add tulsi leaves in water and bring it to boil. Have the tea by adding more herbs and flavour as per your choice.
The best part about this tea is that it is caffeine-free and also benefits people who have high blood sugar levels.
2. Tulsi juice: Strain the juice and enjoy it. Blend some tulsi leaves with a cup of water and some honey.
3. Tulsi Kadha: Consume Tulsi leaves raw, plucked fresh from the plant, add it your tea or make kadha out of it.
4. Tulsi Water: Studies have revealed that tulsi water could be consumed to keep away stress and improve the brain activities. It also helps improve memory. The metabolic activities of the body would be improved if tulsi water is consumed daily.
3 thoughts on “10 Magical Health Benefits of Tulsi Leaves”